Friday, July 18, 2008

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul...Aimee Mayo Et al


That lyric has been stuck in my head since I first heard it on the Set This Circus Down album of Tim McGraws. That lyric says exactly what I feel about music, I have been a music lover as long as I can remember, there has always been a radio on. I thank my mom and Aunt for introducing me to music, they were the ones that started the foundation of musical love for me. My mom had this yellow 79 Mustang that only had AM radio so all I knew was "golden oldies", the stuff my mom listened to when she was growing up, I was like 4 I didn't know there was other music out there...yet.

I have a list that goes on for miles of favorite songs and bands that I love, in all genres of music as well. I have always been a general fan of something with a good beat, or a line I can sing along with. Here's a sampling...the most important and influential.

Brown Eyed Girl-Van Morrison, this has been a favorite of mine since I realized that was the closest color to my eye color and the song is totally fun to sing. Now whenever I hear it I also think of one of my favorite movies (that's a whole nother post) "Sleeping with the Enemy" with Julia Roberts, she is dancing in the theater department with the cutie!

Fancy-Reba McEntire, this was the first country song I heard and I actually liked it. Helped that one of my favorite people introduced it to me because it was her favorite song, my stepmom Mitzi. This song, to this day makes me think of her and what an amazing woman that Fancy became, stood on her own two feet and made something respectable for herself. Women Empowerment!

Indian Outlaw-Tim McGraw, by the time I heard this song I was warming up to country, I had always thought it was twangy and sob stories, conjured images of Dolly Parton-esque women. I heard this song and fell in love with the voice, and ultimately became an enormous Tim fan. After this song I was hooked, and country music was added to my collection, and has never left.

Only Want to Be with You-Hootie and the Blowfish, this song was another one that I heard the voice and was hooked. I listened to this song and I wanted to be that person for a boy, I wanted to be the girl that a boy wanted to be with, and never let go. I wanted that fun love and romance. To this day I hear this song and think of the summer that I first heard it and the crush I had on the boy...wonder where he is now?

You Oughta Know-Alanis Morrisette, this song was another empowered woman song for me. This song made me think, you never let a man take advantage of you and you are strong enough.

As I mentioned the list goes on for miles. Songs stick with me if they have a good beat that I can move to, it makes me happy, or the lines of the song strike me, either philosophical or just hits the nail on the head kind of sentiment.

My favorite comment a person has made about my love of music was my best friend Hillary, we were walking to class one day in college and I burst out into a song, she replies "You have a perpetual jukebox playing in your head at all times don't you?" I laughed because it was funny, but also because it was true. There is always some song playing around in my head. I am attracted to music, it's always on my mind!

1 comment:

Marla Bean said...

You know what song is your theme song in the world according to the cousin who burnt your head? Rock On. Hey Kids Rock and Rollll. Rock On!

I'll never forget when you were visiting for the summer and you just kept playing that tape over and over and over.